How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WiseOwl58 Your Own Question
WiseOwl58, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 3678
Experience:  Experienced business lawyer.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
WiseOwl58 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I have an x business partner and need to know how the

This answer was rated:


I have an x business partner and need to know how the law works in regards XXXXX XXXXX owed taxes. I am not affiliated with his old business but need to know for my own ends. Thanks.

If the IRS is after you for back owed taxes - how does that work? Is it an offense that they can jail you for? What if you have unclaimed assets in a safe? If the IRS revoked your general contractors license and you are still working - who can I notify to have this stopped? If you are operating without a business license who needs to know to shut you down?
If your ex-business partners owes back taxes, they can come after his assets to collect. Those assets would include any property that he owns. If he owns part of a business in which you are also an owner, they could come after his share of the business, but not after your share.

Yes, it is possible to go to prison for tax evasion. Generally, the taxes owed are a civil matter, but if there has been fraud or misrepresentation to the tax authorities, they can bring criminal charges which could result in imprisonment.

Generally, the IRS would not be the one to revoke a contractors license. It would typically be the state contractors licensing board. If he is still working, you can file a complaint with the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries.

Here is their link to report an unlicensed contractor. You can do it online following this link:

Similarly, if you are operating without a business license, that license is issued by the municipality, so you would go to the city that issued the license, or in which the business is located, and file the complaint there.

Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.
WiseOwl58 and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you the answer I gave you and 3, 4 or 5. Thanks.