How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MShore Law Your Own Question
MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 25285
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
MShore Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My company offers Group Life Insurance policy as a benefit.

Resolved Question:

My company offers Group Life Insurance policy as a benefit. Years ago I applied and got it, than they changed the provider, and later i discovered that my policy was dropped (the benefit is unchanged), so I tried to apply to the new provided (MetLife) and was not accepted. I want to sue MetLife to reinstate my original insurance, that they dropped years ago. In addition my company is HQ in Philadeplhia, my office (and my division) is in VA, and I want to know which state am I better off filing.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. For the sake of convenience filing in VA would be more adviseable, if you were to file in WA you would have to retain counsel in that state and/or appear in that state. Further, because the act/omission presumably occurred in VA, particularly if via a VA agent, the company can argue that VA has subject matter jurisdiction over the dispute. Please let me know if you need additional guidance or have any follow up questions.
Expert:  MShore Law replied 5 years ago.
Please elaborate on how I can assist you further. I want you to be satisfied with your experience, but need to know your expectations on the service for this to occur.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well here is my problem. I said the urgency is medium, and the details are maximum. So the only detail I've got is that VA is a better state to file than PA, without even clarifying which legal environment is preferable. As I understand jurisdictyional issues are somewhat flexible, and no agent was involved, unless my company is an agent. But most importantly you said nothing about the validity of my proposed course of action and whether or not I would have a good legal standing to proceed, because the goal here is not so much sue them, as to get the insurance at the promised rate.
Expert:  MShore Law replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Vadim, going forward, please remember that I can only know the questions that you pose, and your question was "I want to know which state am I better off filing." The answer to this simple question is VA. To illustrate the point further, if I ask you what color is the sky, but request a highly detailed explanation, and you respond that the sky is generally blue during the day, and a much darker shade of blue near black at night, you actually answered my question, and though I requested high detail, I posed a very simple question to you and left you guessing as to what details I wanted relative to sky color. Turning to your question now, you rated "poor service" on my initial answer because I did not address "the validity of my proposed course of action and whether or not I would have a good legal standing to proceed, because the goal here is not so much sue them, as to get the insurance at the promised rate" when you did not pose these questions? I ask not to be sarcastic but I want to understand your thought process in order that I can meet your expectations.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well, sir, now that I am
more clear about your thought process, I concede that perhaps the phrasing of
my original question was indeed somewhat overly limited in scope, probably due
to the depth of my inexperience, however in the meantime your last response leaves
me completely without any direction as towards your wishes - specifically the
new, aka expanded, aka, “answer what I mean, not what I ask”, question remains
unanswered, and no indication is given as to what action you expect from me?

I see the following possible

  1. I beg - please, please,
    please, answer my more extended question.

  2. I change the rating, and
    quietly go away

  3. I change the rating, and
    pay another $50 to get the extended question answered.

Please advise - which
action you envision me taking as the next step in this rather riveting
exchange? Please be advised – I do not understand hints and subtleties, even
when I happen to know for a fact it is a subtle hint.


P.S. If you honestly
expect me to pay $50 for you simply typing “In VA”… I do not expect a full hour
of your time, but having at something like 26.37 minutes of meaningful conversation
is not unreasonable.

Expert:  MShore Law replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your reply Vadim, as you can probably appreciation, I have no inclination or ability to understand what you may mean, only what you say. Regarding whether to file suit in VA or PA, neither has a cap on damages in such a case, though you may benefit from PA subjective pain and suffering damages allowance (though pain and suffering in the case you describe would be a stretch). While Philadelphia has developed a reputation for being among the most plaintiff friendly jurisdictions in the country (hence the Philly phenomenon where plaintiffs win a disproportionate share of personal injury trials) the same is not true throughout the state. On the other hand, VA is a bit more stringent in its damages awarding. The question then becomes whether you want to absorb the difficulty in filing in PA (travel expenses, etc) with the hope of a more favorable damages award to recoup such expenses or file suit in your home state of VA. Vadim, please let me know if the above does not answer your questions posed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am looking for a way to release the payment to you, without changing the rating. I was unable to get in touch with the administration of the just answer. If you have an email, or a telephone number - please let me know.
Expert:  MShore Law replied 5 years ago.
Vadim, I want you to have a positive experience, and rate the service positively in turn. Is it that you need additional information or additional guidance to feel that the service was positive? If so, please let me know and I will do my best to assist you further.
MShore Law and 6 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You have provided a detailed answer to the "strict" question and completely avoided the topics of the "extended" question(s). I feel that it is my obligation to pay the money, as for my feelings on other related matters... anyway, how do I contact them, so this does not turn into something protracted.
Expert:  MShore Law replied 5 years ago.
Vadim, I am happy to answer any "extended question" you have, but again, I cannot know your questions unless you ask.