Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

If you have a judgment against the corporation, but believe

Customer Question
the corporation is just one...
If you have a judgment against the corporation, but believe the corporation is just one guy how to proceed to attach liability to the individual owner?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Business Law
6/4/2012
Business Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 5 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good afternoon. It doesn't make any difference how many people own the corporation, the corporation is a limited liability and no owner is liable for a judgment against the corporation. Only the assets of the corporation could be attached to collect the judgment. In order to pursue the individual owner, the judgment creditor would have to go back to court and try to obtain a judgment against the individual as well, based upon the concept of "piercing the corporate veil" by showing that the individual owner commingled corporate and individual assets and accounts or that there was some deficiency in the formation of the corporation itself.

I hope this has given you
information that has been helpful to you. If the information seems more general
than specific, please be aware that we are only allowed to provide information
and not specific advice.
If you have a follow-up question, please
remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my
answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.
If you need additional clarification on this question, please do not
hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you
further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you. Please be aware that
the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general
information. All states have intricacies in their laws and
any information given is simply information only and specifically is not
intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does
not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has
been helpful to you.

I had this much informaiton before I contacted you. I wasted $40.
I'm sorry....You have no obligation to accept and thus it will have cost you nothing. But, I have no idea what you knew or what you didn't know so I can only tell you what options you have available. Take care.
I agree with my original reply. I got no value from your answer - no reflection on you, but I was looking for soemthing more definitive. Maybe the problem is that I work with attorneys every day and already know quite a bit about the law, but I reiterate I got no value from your answer and I DID get charged for your answer.
Actually, you did not get charged for this answer. You got charged for a deposit which is still there. Until you accept an answer, the deposit does not get applied. So, I have received no credit for the answer and your deposit has not been applied. If you want a refund of your deposit, you would need to contact customer service.
Richard, Attorney