Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

If the medical provider files a claim after the alloted time

Customer Question
frame for filing (1year) am...
If the medical provider files a claim after the alloted time frame for filing (1year) am I, the patient responsible for the amount?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/4/2012
Business Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 5 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
What do you mean by "alloted time frame"?
The alloted time frame is set by the provider, in this case it is TRI-CARE for Life & the billing was sent directly to a collection agency & I did not receive any billing from them this year. Tri-care for life, states that if the billing is not sent to them within a year of the service rendered, then they will not pay it. Do I pay the collection agency or what do I do?
If I understand what happened correctly then the medical provider failed to send the claim to the insurance company within a year.

If that is correct, then you would still be responsible unless the medical provider somehow told you that you wouldn't. However, most medical offices have their patients sign a form when they see the doctor saying that the patient is responsible for the bill no matter what.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like but I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney