How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney Arcadier Your Own Question
Attorney Arcadier
Attorney Arcadier, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 1106
Experience:  Contract questions and Incorporation questions answered.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Attorney Arcadier is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you are working in the U.S. under an indepentant contractor

Resolved Question:

If you are working in the U.S. under an indepentant contractor agreement with a Canadian company, with an office in Florida, that states that it shall be governed and construed in accordance with the laws of Nova Scotia an the laws of Canada, and they sue you for breach of contract, what is the contractors exposure?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Attorney requested was offline. Submit question to appropriate lawyers online.
Expert:  Attorney Arcadier replied 5 years ago.
There is a difference between jurisdiction and applicable law. Jurisdiction means location of suit. For instance, If contract was performed in Florida then jurisdiction can be in Florida or Canada. The liability is the amount of money you can owe as a result of the breach. So your liability is whatever the value of the breach is regardless of whether Canadian law or u.s. law is used.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If the breach is disclosing company information to a government agency pertaining to a crime commited by the company can the contractor be sued?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just submitted a follow up question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Waiting for an answer to my follow up question.
Expert:  Attorney Arcadier replied 5 years ago.
No. Such activity is protected under both Canadian and U.S. Law.
Attorney Arcadier and 4 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Attorney Arcadier replied 5 years ago.
I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer OR the HAPPY SMILEY FACE. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!
If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.
Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.
Kindly note, sometimes legal answers take more than a few minutes to be properly addressed as the law is esoteric. Indeed, we are dealing with laws throughout the United Estates and applying them to complex fact patterns, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.
There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Related Business Law Questions