How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 7408
Experience:  30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in the Military and currently residing in Korea. I am

Customer Question

I am in the Military and currently residing in Korea. I am in the process of starting an internet radio business that will be broadcasting copy written material and it will also allow the general public to submit music for broadcasting. My problem is that I don't know what kind of licensing I need to legally run this business. I imagine some sort of incorporation but I do not know if it is legal to file in a state I do not live in. My address on file is currently in Arizona but since I will never be going back I wanted to know if I could use my home of record which is Michigan? Since I do not know where I will be stationed next and I want to start this up asap please help me put the pieces together. Thank you
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 5 years ago.

Many corporations are formed in states other than where the organizer lives. It is quite legal. For many years, Delaware has been the state of choice because of its very liberal rules, and for tax considerations. So you can incorporate in MI if you wish. You might need to appoint a MI resident agent to accept service of process. There are corporations set up in every state that do that specifically for other corporations.

I have answered your question. Please click on ACCEPT or SMILEY FACE so that I will be compensated. BONUSES for quick and helpful responses are very appreciated. If you wish clarification of the answer, please send me a "Reply". If you have additional questions, I would be happy to assist, but as a courtesy I respectfully request that you ACCEPT the answer to your first question before branching off into other new questions.
Also, this answer does not create an attorney client relationship and you are urged to consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this answer according to your state's laws and local customs and practice.