How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 33380
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am starting a blog. At some point I will want to make revenue

This answer was rated:

I am starting a blog. At some point I will want to make revenue from it via ads. Is it necessary to do the following:

-get a business license
-register my name and make it a LLC
-have a lawyer on retainer (in case of lawsuits)

I ask about the lawyer because it will be a current events/gossip-type blog.
Also, is there a such thing as defamation when it is a blog?
None of those are necessary but it is probably advisable to form a corporation of some type if you are in danger of lawsuits. An LLC is one type of corporation and usually used in smaller businesses. You can even have more than one corporation to provide extra protection so that you are absolutely safe but to know if this is justified you need to meet with a lawyer in person and go over the information in detail.

There is no need to have a lawyer on retainer, that is actually fairly rare.

There is also no need for a business license for a blog.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like but I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked.

I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B. and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks for the ACCEPT and the BONUS.

I just wanted to add that if you need a set of forms there is a good set at

What I tell people to do is take that set and then make slight changes so that they apply to you or get your lawyer to make the modifications. If you get your lawyer to do it then it saves a bunch of money since they don't have to draft them from scratch.

Related Business Law Questions