Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Do the words unpaid assessements as defined in Florida Statutes

Do the words 'unpaid...
Do the words 'unpaid assessements' as defined in Florida Statutes 718.116 (1)(a) exclude any ancillary costs of collections such as interest, fines and legal fees?
The isue involves a purchaser of a foreclosed property arguing he is only responsible to the Associaition under the aforementioned statute for the bare bones assessment and not any other costs. Is he right?
5/3/2012
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®:

I am a licensed attorney and will do my best to provide you an honest and accurate answer to your important legal question.

My goal is to make your experience here highly satisfactory. Toward that end, please keep a few details in mind during our interaction:

1. I am a lousy mind reader. If you do not supply information to me, I do not know it. Please, give me the needed details to work with so I can provide you with the best possible service. Also, if you use the RELIST or BLOCK features, our discussion ends and I may no longer be able to assist. Please, just write back to me, directly, and talk to me.

2. Also, while I make every effort to work in a timely fashion, answering legal questions is not an instantaneous process. I am required to conduct research, interact with multiple customers simultaneously and sometimes take a break. Also, there may be times when I have to sign off for the night or to attend to other obligations. Rest assured, however, I will get back to you.

3. If you have a new legal question, the terms of this site ask that you post it in a separate thread. In other words, please be fair and reasonable. You can direct any future questions to my attention. Just go to my Profile Page, type in the text box "ask Your Question", click the hyperlink that says "15 minutes", and use the drop down menu to select 12 hours.

4. Please remember that many times even attorneys disagree with the law. But, we cannot change it. The answer I give you is based on my years of legal education and professional practice. It may well not be what you were hoping to hear. I will be upfront and direct. I will not mislead you, misstate the law to suit your hopes, or agree just to meet your expectations.

5. If you answer an Information Request and I start working on formulating your answer, it does take some time to draft a quality response. In the meantime, you may receive a message indicating that I am "offline" or "unavailable". This is not the case. These messages are generated automatically without my knowledge or input.

6. Lastly, please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated. Information provided is informational and not legal advice. I am not your attorney. No attorney-client relationship exists between us. Consult legal counsel in your jurisdiction.

QUESTION: "Is he right?"

ANSWER: Yes. Here is how this works. Applying canons or rules of statutory constructions, we start with the plain language of the law: Florida Statutes § 718.116 (1)(a). We see no such mention. Later on, we do see the words, in another context, "...is not liable for any unpaid assessments, late fees, interest, or reasonable attorney's fees and costs...". Now, the logic goes like this. If the Legislature took the time to include those words (again realizing in a different context) mere inches later in the text, than surely had it intended to do so in relation to the point you have raised, it would have simply done so. So, in the absence of good case law to the contrary (which is not the case), the plain language controls and simply imposes liability for "unpaid assessments"...period.

I truly hope all works out for you. I know this is a lot to take in, so please do not hesitate to write back. After you select "Accept", our conversation need not end. I would be happy to continue our dialog, without further charge, until you are fully satisfied. I promise to check back periodically for any updated posts from you each time I return to this online venue.

Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!

Join thousands of satisfied customers by adding me to your bookmarks/favorites: LawInfoNow. Just type your future question in the text box to direct it to my personal attention.

LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer