Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I have a small business in NJ listed as an LLC. I do work for

Customer Question
charity organizations also. Can I...
I have a small business in NJ listed as an LLC. I do work for charity organizations also. Can I apply for nonprofit?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Business Law
5/2/2012
Business Lawyer: MShore Law, Attorney replied 5 years ago
MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Yes, but you would have to change your company from an LLC to an corporation, as non-profit status is not current available to LLCs in your state. Please let me know if you need additional guidance.
LLC Nonprofit is not available in NJ? Could I have the nonprofit with another state? My work is in Pa. and NJ.
Yes, you could establish a non profit LLC in another state, though PA does not recognize nonprofit LLCs either. In order to establish your non-profit LLC you would have to do so in a state that recognizes this entity type, but you would still have a to register in the states where the LLC actually operates as a foreign LLC, and it therefore may not be worthwhile to do a dual registration as you would not realize any tax savings from the states that do not recognize nonprofit LLCs. Please let me know if you need additional guidance.
MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
MShore Law
MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney