Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I am wanting to start a distributorship of electronics in South

I am wanting to start a distributorship of electronics in South Carolina but my manufacturer is in China what licenses would I need to acquire?
Are they going to drop ship the products to the customers from China or are you going to be importing inventory?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was planning to inventory to cut down on delivery time.
If you are importing electronic goods from China, you will need to engage a customs importer because you will have to arrange to pay customs duties upon having them shipped to the US. These tariffs vary depending on the type and value of the electronic goods you are importing. The tariffs are based on the Harmonized Import Tariffs and you need to be careful if you are not experienced in reading these tables, which is why a customs importer is generally required in the beginning. However, aside from that and your LLC, this is all you require.

If you have the manufacturer drop ship products, all you need is the LLC and any duty, which is likely none because they will be shipped to the customer directly for personal use, is the liability of the customer and not you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer OR the HAPPY SMILEY FACE. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would the customs importer be the same thing as a frieghtforwarder or is that different?
Some freight forwarders provide customs services, it depends on each individual company you use and you need to check with that particular company as to whether or not they will be handling the customs requirements.