Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Hello. I am starting a new business called Vacation Nannies

Customer Question
International. It's a business where...
Hello. I am starting a new business called Vacation Nannies International. It's a business where I have created a website that supplies a vacation nanny for people on vacation. I have office managers in Anquilla, St. Maarten, Brazil, Italy, and here in NYC and Montauk/Hamptons, NY. Basically, the call comes in for these areas and I have my recruiters supply the local nanny. I would like to know how to set it up where my company doesn't have liability for the nanny-instead, the nanny is liable. Is there a way they could be independent employees? Also, from a tax perspective-do you have any advice? Is there anything imperative that I must do or know first hand? Thank you. Bridgette
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Business Law
5/1/2012
Business Lawyer: kattorney, Attorney replied 5 years ago
kattorney
kattorney, Attorney

Kathie Russell :

Hi and thanks for your question. I believe I answered this question for you the other day and you paid for it. I don't want to see you pay for the same question twice, is there additional information that you need?

Customer:

no- i was hoping to get a second oppinon as i really need to know what to ask an employment lawyer this week when we meet. i want to be organized as hes paid hourly

Kathie Russell :

If you tell me what you are hoping to accomplish with the employment lawyer, I can give you a list of questions to ask him or her.

Kathie Russell :

The first thing you should ask is: I need a good independent contractor agreement that can be used in all of these countries. Do you have the expertise to do this, or do I need an international business attorney?

Kathie Russell :

And, if you are able to do this for me, will you be able to draw up one independent contractor agreement which can then be slightly modified for each country? I don't want to pay to have 5 separate independent contractor agreements drawn up.

Kathie Russell :

Items to include in the independent contractor agreement: assumption of liability for all services rendered by the independent contractor; responsibility for all relevant taxes and the procurement of all necessary licenses and permits, as required, in the requisite country.

Kathie Russell :

What IRS issues do I need to be aware of?

Kathie Russell :

Tell him that, in essence, you want to function as a referral service between the nannies and the customers and you need an agreement that provides for that.

Kathie Russell :

If I see your question up here again, I'll make sure not to open it, in case you still want another opinion. :)

kattorney
kattorney, Attorney
kattorney
kattorney
kattorney, Attorney