Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Our Company vehicle was illegally repossessed in VA, i.e. the

Our Company vehicle was illegally repossessed in VA, i.e. the Las Vegas firm hired to execute the repossession did not get a warrant.

We have since located the vehicle parked in SE section of Washington DC using our tags and our Dept. of Transportation #.

We still have truck insured and have a key.

Question, can we legally take our truck back?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Why do you say the company needed a warrant? Was the vehicle locked inside your premises when they took it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The paper work from the Las Vegas company that initated the repo stated in their request that " Gordon Scott is a skip, please do not make contact". Virginia law requires a court order if repo is not on a voluntary basis. I would have never agreed to repo and they lied in their repossesion document. I had not skipped and the other party to the sale violated the asset purchase agreement.

I can reached at XXX-XXX-XXXX

I am afraid that VA law does not require a warrant to repossess a vehicle if the payment is 10 days or more overdue. A creditor may repossess a vehicle in VA at any time and at any place the vehicle is found as long as they may do so without a breach of the peace. Also, you need to read your loan contract, because that will also describe their right to repossess the vehicle. If they come onto private property to repossess the vehicle and are asked to leave the private property then they must do so. However, no warrant or advance notice to you is required for them to repossess a vehicle in VA. See: VA Repossessions

If they lied and you were not at least 10 days delinquent in payment, then this is grounds to go to court and sue for an unlawful repossession. However, I am afraid you cannot just go and recover the vehicle, you have to go to court now if you are alleging they repossessed the vehicle contrary to your loan agreement or that they misrepresented that you were more than 10 days delinquent on the payment.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer OR the HAPPY SMILEY FACE. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”