Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I am looking for specific information regarding fantasy sports,

Customer Question
or more importantly, fantasy type...
I am looking for specific information regarding fantasy sports, or more importantly, fantasy type games and running a pool for charity.

I plan on having a free game to enter and host a set of prizes. The game will not be stats based but would be "pick winners" type of games. Easier the better.

I will present the prizes before anyone enters. i will additionally seek donations. Donations would not be necessary to enter but will be asked for throughout the process. I think this is a promotional contest.

- How would this be classified? Promotional giveaway?
- Do i need to charge in order for this to be considered a contest (or promotional giveaway?)?
- Would these states be disqualified?
ARIZONA, IOWA, LOUISIANA, MARYLAND, MONTANA, NORTH DAKOTA, TENNESSEE, VERMONT, AND WASHINGTON STATE.

Lastly, if i am getting a sponsor to sponsor an additional giveaway - (my bar might offer a 2 for 1 special for everyone involved?) would this be needed PRIOR to the game, or since everyone is eligiable, can i have people opt in once registration has started?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Business Law
5/2/2012
Business Lawyer: Fran-mod,
 replied 5 years ago
Fran-mod
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
still waiting, thanks
Business Lawyer: Fran-mod,
 replied 5 years ago
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 years ago
Do you have a non-profit corporation already formed that you will be running this under?

Sorry. the game would be operated with a for profit company (ad supported) and all donations would go through a DAF (donor advised foundation - non profit)

If you are charging nothing to enter these contests, then they are promotional as you have stated. However, some states, RI in particular make them very difficult for any promotional contest where the prize is more than $500 and you have to register with the Secretary of State (which is why most contests of this nature simply say they are void in RI, because of the hassle of registering) See: RI Gen. Laws 11-50-1. Other states like NY and FL require registration with the Secretary of State only if the giveaway is greater than $5000. Iowa bans these promotional contests if they require a "substantial expenditure of effort" to enter and of course that is subjective and ill defined by the court. Alabama allow promotional giveaways and sweepstakes without any payment to enter.

I am afraid however, that the scope of this service does not allow us to research each and every state's law for you that you have mentioned above because of the cost involved and because many states have rules that depend on exactly what you are giving away as well. Thus once you have your contest and prizes set you have to sit with a local attorney that will have to research each state to make the final determination.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer OR the HAPPY SMILEY FACE. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney