Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Ive had a renters policy with State Farm for almost 10 years

I've had a renter's policy with State Farm for almost 10 years now. I pay $32 every quarter. Yesterday I got a very nasty letter from them stating that they will no longer carry my insurance because I made a theft claim in May of 2010 for $415.62 and made another claim in June of 2011 for $582.58. WHAT A RIP-OFF! In other words, they will cover you until you make a claim and then it's hasta la vista, baby. Is that legal? Should I report it to the Department of Insurance? What do you suggest?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
I am afraid that according to the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies only the cancellation of automobile insurance may be appealed to their office and cancellation of any other type of insurance is not appealable. Thus, I am afraid all you can do is appeal directly to State Farm and if they deny your appeal, then I am afraid you have no other recourse on this type of insurance.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT and/or the HAPPY SMILEY FACE button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”