Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Good afternoon, I wanted to inquire about one question. I opened

Customer Question
business in 2009, and it...
Good afternoon, I wanted to inquire about one question. I opened business in 2009, and it was doing horrible.The biggest mistake i did, was that i was paying workers from my pocket busness wasnt making any profit. Thus, i was putting my personal money into the business checking account, with which i paid my workers I was changing workers very often, because there was not enough pay them. I was going to give the workers 1099, but i closed my business before managing to do so. My question is: I am finalizing my divorce, i lost the business that I opened in 2009. They suppinaded my business account in which shows that i was paying the workers. In how big trouble i may find myself in, and what i should do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Business Law
4/4/2012
Business Lawyer: JerrySJD, Attorney replied 5 years ago
JerrySJD
JerrySJD, Attorney

You are not in trouble at all. In fact, this helps you. The business account will show a loss, which should be subtracted from you other income. You can file a Schedule C for the business (if it was a sole proprietorship) and report the loss there too. You should. Then you can give them your tax return, showing a Schedule C loss. I am glad they subpoenaed your business records. Make sure sure you subtract the Schedule C loss from you other income on your divorce financial statement.

Thank you for using JustAnswer! Please click "Accept". If you need more, please let me know.

JerrySJD
JerrySJD, Attorney
JerrySJD
JerrySJD
JerrySJD, Attorney