Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I have several questions about a sheriffs sale of personal

Customer Question
I have several questions about...
I have several questions about a sheriff's sale of personal property in Utah.

If real property is sold the buyer typically puts down $5,000 with the rest due in 24 hours.
What about personal property?

Can the seller set his terms?
For example, suppose I have personal property worth $40,000.
May I accept $5,000 down with $35,000 due in 30 days?
If the buyer doesn't come up with the remainder, do I have to resell the property through another Sheriff's sale?
Does the buyer get a Sheriff's bill of sale for this type of transaction?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Business Law
3/17/2012
Business Lawyer: Fran-mod,
 replied 5 years ago
Fran-mod
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
I am still waiting for an answer.
Business Lawyer: Fran-mod,
 replied 5 years ago
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Business Lawyer: Michael, Attorney replied 5 years ago
Michael
Michael, Attorney
Hi there, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a business law attorney with experience in all aspects of business law. I'll do my best to assist you.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX below questions:

Can the seller set his terms?

The "seller" is the sheriff. The sheriff's office has to follow certain deposit guidelines when selling which vary with the property's appraised value.

The buyer of foreclosed real estate would receive a "trustee's deed".

An example of the required notices, details, deeds and down-payments is available here: http://www.utcourts.gov/howto/foreclosure/

here:
http://filelibrary.myaasite.com/Content/5/5989/30298382.pdf

and here:
http://www.co.davis.ut.us/sheriff/divisions/justice_services/civil_process/sheriff_sales.cfm

I hope this answer has been helpful. I'd be happy to further clarify my response and follow up with any other questions. If you're satisfied with my answer, remember to hit the "accept" button. Bonuses and positive feedback are always appreciated! -Michael
I understand the buyer of foreclosed property would receive a trustee's deed, but what about personal property sold at a Sheriff's sale?
You receive a "certificate of sale", which serves the same function as to what some other states call a "bill of sale". No right of redemption, as-is, subject to any other liens on the property.

With personal property the defendant does have the right to determine the order in which property is sold if they appear at the auction, and to recover any property remaining after the judgment amount is satisfied.

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE78B/htm/78B06_081200.htm
Michael
Michael, Attorney
Michael
Michael
Michael, Attorney