Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

can a lawyer threaten to harm a persons career and reputation

Customer Question
as a means of protecting...
can a lawyer threaten to harm a persons career and reputation as a means of protecting his client from being sued to return $ required in a business transaction---such as a clawback in an investment fund that must be returned to limited partners(LPs) by all general partners, In other words the general partner is violating a prospectus by keeping $ that are required to be returned to LPs?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Business Law
3/4/2012
Business Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 5 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: can a lawyer threaten to harm a persons career and reputation as a means of protecting his client from being sued to return $ required in a business transaction---such as a clawback in an investment fund that must be returned to limited partners(LPs) by all general partners, In other words the general partner is violating a prospectus by keeping $ that are required to be returned to LPs?

Response: No, the Attorney cannot do that. That amounts to intimidation. Attorney cannot threaten to harm your career and your reputation for asserting your rights. The Attorney's statement is in violation of Connecticut Rules of Professional Conduct Rules 3 and 4

http://www.jud.ct.gov/Publications/PracticeBook/PB_2012.pdf

You can file Complaint against the Attorney with the Office of the Bar Counsel:

http://www.jud.ct.gov/OCDC/faq.htm#conduct
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law