How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 31765
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question. Can I enforce a non-compete in the state

This answer was rated:

I have a question. Can I enforce a non-compete in the state of California if I am selling a licensed territory of my business. I want to set it up where the person can not do the same business within a year after the contract is over.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Business litigation attorney here to assist you.Unfortunately, no. California law prohibits non-compete agreements. Under California Business and Professions Code § 16600, "every contract by which anyone is restrained from engaging in a lawful profession, trade, or business of any kind is to that extent void." Thus, no non-compete can be enforced under California law.
Roger and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you