How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawdoctor Your Own Question
Lawdoctor, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 1400
Experience:  I have handled numerous business law cases during my career
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Lawdoctor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I lease and manage an equestrian facility in Carmel

Resolved Question:


I lease and manage an equestrian facility in Carmel Valley, Calif. We have 30 or so horses which board here, as well as training and breeding. Three years ago an old friend left her horse here, and so far she has refused to pay the upkeep. Excluding the work and care involved, the bill totals about $7500.

I plan to file in small claims court, but my concern is the disposition of the horse. Given that it is her legal property, and she has abandoned the animal, do I have a legal right to either sell or give away the animal without her permission.

She is an oil heiress and money is not really the issue. Obviously something off with her.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I am waiting
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 5 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still waiting. thanx
Expert:  Lawdoctor replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your question.

Your question is very important to me, but please remember that I can only respond to the information you provide and I do not know your entire situation. My response is limited to what you have written to me and the answer may change with additional facts.

Also, due to site reasons, there are times I am initially only able to see a portion of post, so I apologize in advance if it means that you have to duplicate information.

There may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. Now, let’s address your question!


I would do as you plan and file your court case. You can include in the complaint or petition that the title or ownership of the horse be transferred to you as damages. You will also want to file a personal property lien on the horse with the Secretary of State once you have a judgment against her.


Once you have the judgment, you can file a Notice of Judgment Lien with the Secretary of State. Information and a link to the form is here:


I would recommend you hire an attorney to assist you since she has assets you can seize for the judgment in addition to the horse. You should be able to get your attorney's fees and costs as part of your damages.


I wish you the best.


Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Good luck and Godspeed.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If I don’t’ answer immediately, I may be off line. If so, I will answer as soon as I come back. If I am online, I may be assisting someone else and will respond as soon as I can. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Bonuses are gladly accepted. Thank you and good luck!

Please remember that we have not created an attorney-client relationship, and that my post is not intended to be specific legal advice. The answers given are limited to the information you have provided in your post. For specific legal advice, please consult with an attorney licensed in your state.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the states of Florida and Mississippi. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.

Lawdoctor, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 1400
Experience: I have handled numerous business law cases during my career
Lawdoctor and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions