J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
15393114

Do you have to reapply for a 501(c)(3) tax exemption if you

Do you have to reapply for a 501(c)(3) tax exemption if you change the purpose of your foundation? For example, the current purpose of the organization is to provide financial literacy and assist abused women. The new purpose would be to provide financial literacy, assist abused women and provide micro financing to low income women and minority businesses. Can I just change the bylaws to reflect a change in purpose and submit the change to the IRS?

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

As long as your purpose remains rational related to your original purpose, there is no requirement to update resubmit documentation to the IRS.

J.Hazelbaker :

The purposes you describe are so similar that, in my opinion, there is no need for a revision even to your bylaws.

J.Hazelbaker :

And bylaws, when drafted by attorneys, usually contain "catch-all" phrasing that encompasses a degree of "mission drift".

J.Hazelbaker :

Regardless, and to again answer your primary question, "no" you do not need to reapply or resubmit to the IRS in this instance.

J.Hazelbaker :

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.