Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

- Should the organization obtain a lawyer for a small claims

Customer Question
case against them or is...
- Should the organization obtain a lawyer for a small claims case against them or is the President responsible for defending the organization?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Business Law
3/1/2012
Business Lawyer: Thomas McJD, Attorney replied 5 years ago
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney

Hello, I will be happy to assist you. After receiving your answer, please do not forget to click the green "accept" button. Although you have made a deposit (or are a subscriber), I cannot receive credit for my work without your accept.

Yes, an officer can appear on behalf of the corporation in a small claims case (one not exceeding $5,000).

http://www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/smallclaims.pdf

I believe I have answered your question. However, it's possible I misunderstood your question and didn't provide an adequate answer or failed to fully address your question. If that's the case, please let me know you need clarification. Otherwise, please click the green "accept" button.

If you later open a new question and would like my assistance, please begin the question with "To TMcJD...." This will ensure that only I answer the question.

Could I provide clarification?

Need more clarification. the writ of summons is served on the organization but when I look at the defendent name is XXXXX XXXXX defendents, 1 is me and the second is me as president of the organization, so must I get a lawyer to defend me as the president or should the organization have a lawyer?

No, you can represent yourself as an individual and you can represent the corporation as its President. You don't have to retain an attorney.

Your accept would be appreciated.

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney