Raisa Romaelle, Esq.
Raisa Romaelle, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Florida licensed attorney and former business owner, providing you with answers and insight in plain english.
63198330

my father made a contract. There are 3 parties the seller,

my father made a contract. There are 3 parties the seller, and 2 buyers. Actually, my father who is the most damage we are trying to void the contract. I read your article and I found that my father did not have contractual capacity to enter in a contract and undue influence. The other buyer has experiencie in business and took the total control of the business while my father is a elderly man of 57 years old with diabetes and any clue to manage a business. My question is: Do my father has the possibiility to void the contract any time and get his total money back? .
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Raisa Romaelle, Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Raisa Romaelle, Esq. :

Absolutely Your father can file a law suit to void the contract due to duress or economic duress.

Raisa Romaelle, Esq. :

Duress occurs when one party induces the other party’s assent through wrongful threats. The threats must essentially give a party no choice but to enter into the contract. For example, a contract under duress exists when a party threatens to bring false criminal charges against the other party if the other party does not agree to the deal. Once the threatened party shows that the agreement was the product of duress, he can avoid his performance obligations. Keep in mind, however, that courts are reluctant to find economic duress on the basis of bargaining pressure alone. Hard bargaining is acceptable and does not render a contract void.

Raisa Romaelle, Esq. :

Please remember to click Accept when you receive your answer. If the answer was particularly helpful, a BONUS is always appreciated, too! Remember, if you do not click ACCEPT, I will not be compensated.

My answer is not a legal advice but general information. No attorney client relationship has been formed.

Raisa Romaelle, Esq. :

Economic duress is evaluated under an objective standard: "The doctrine of 'economic duress' can apply when one party has done a wrongful act which is sufficiently coercive to cause a reasonably prudent person, faced with no reasonable alternative, to agree to an unfavorable contract. The party subjected to the coercive act, and having no reasonable alternative, can then plead 'economic duress' to avoid the contract.

Raisa Romaelle, Esq. :

Customer:

I can not understand you.