How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask WiseOwl58 Your Own Question
WiseOwl58, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 3684
Experience:  Experienced business lawyer.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
WiseOwl58 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im setting up an internet business and Im wondering if I

Resolved Question:

I'm setting up an internet business and I'm wondering if I need insurance? And or how I should protect myself from being sued?

I'm an occupational therapist. I've written a book on how to help children pay attention for school and homework. I'm setting up a companion business, where I want to offer education to parents and teachers. As part of this, I want to offer telephone sessions where parents can ask me questions. I'm saying on the site that I cannot assess or treat children, and can only offer general information, not personal advice. I've been looking at some of the terms on the justanswer site, and I'm wondering if I should use simiar terms? I am asking parents to agree to terms before I correspond with them.

If I do need insurance, what company would provide it? I'm a sole trader based in Ireland, obviously with a potentially international clientele.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for entrusting us with your important legal questions.

You should be clear on your site that you are not offering any specific treatment or professional advice, but just providing general information.

You should definitely have the customers agree to the terms before you work with them.

Your business should consider small business liability insurance for your business.

Here is a site that will give you competitive bids on small business liability policies from a variety of carriers, so you can compare.

Good luck with your new business. Please press the green ACCEPT button. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. I'm just looking at that insurance website and I'm a little confused. Which type of insurance do I need? These are the options:

General Liability

Protects the assets of a business in case of a lawsuit related to injury or property damage.
Business Owners Policy (BOP)
Combines general liability and business property coverage into a single pol
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 5 years ago.
You are mainly concerned with the liability portion, because as an internet business you don't have the kind of property that a brick and mortar business should have.

So, try quotes for business liability policy first. However, you should also get a few quotes for the umbrella BOP because sometimes the entire package is marketed at a cheaper price than just the liability policy because of competition in the marketplace. Go figure.
WiseOwl58 and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you