Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

What are the rules for running a Texas Holdem for a Charitable

Customer Question
Organization...
What are the rules for running a Texas Holdem for a Charitable Organization
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/2/2012
Business Lawyer: MShore Law, Attorney replied 5 years ago
MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Would this be an online tournament or held locally? If locally, where would the games be held?
The games would be held at a Knights of Columbus Hall in Stuart, Fl. It would be a monthly game. A limit of about 60 people with prize money up to $1000. for first prize and other prizes based on the attendance. Proceeds would go to the Knights of Columbus(Columbion Club)
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX on this matter is codified in The Charitable Raffling Enabling Act in Chapter 2002 of the Texas Occupations Code. Be advised that charitable poker tournaments are very difficult to hold in Texas because the entity hosting the event must meet the definition of a qualified organization and the winnings must be awarded by virtue of raffle, not performance in the tournament alone. Further, cash cannot be a prize. Here is a good article on the subject for your reference: http://www.tdcaa.com/node/2872

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney

Why are you telling me about Texas Law. I want to know what the rules are for holding a Texas HoldEm Poker tournament in the City of Stuart, Martin County, Fl. by a charitable organization "Knights of Columbus".

I assume that the State of Florida and or Martin County has some flexibility to allow Charitable Organizations to hold fund raising events with some rules and guide lines on how to proceed and what the limitations would be regarding pay outs to winners and

notification of winners to the IRS when a prize is paid.

I'm so sorry, I misunderstood the jurisdiction of your question to be Texas. I will search FL law and be right back with you.
I assume from your answer that I should contact the State of Florida and or Martin County .
Poker tournaments are permitted in pari-mutuel facilities, see http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/pmw/index.html

In FL, charities are allowed to raise money through poker, but games that include a buy-in charge and prizes must be held at an Indian casino, horse track or some other gaming facility that regularly hosts poker games (e.g. pari-mutel facilities). The best thing to do would be to submit a request for an advisory opinion from the attorney general's office as the FL laws are not clear on the subject and there are grey areas.

Also, here is the applicable FL law: http://haccw.org/FloridaCharitableGamingLaws.aspx

Why are you asking me to pay an additional amount when the first answer you gave me did not give me the proper information that I was looking for, and therefore the second answer you gave me was close to what I needed to know.

Should I be charged for two answers when the first answer did not relate to the request I asked about.

I apologize for any confusion, you received an automated message. Please disregard the request for additional payment. Thank you.
MShore Law
MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney