Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I have been working to develop a website business in New York

for the last few years...
I have been working to develop a website business in New York for the last few years. After having the initial business plan and purchasing the domain name, I asked a close friend to be my partner because I knew he would be passionate about the project. I incorporated as an LLC and since he had no money at the time I didn't add him on the LLC. We had many meeting over the last few years perfecting the concept before launching it. In that time frame I spent over $1000 on the site, he spent only $400 (he never had money). In the last few months he starting working on another website business with a wealthy partner (different concept, but can potentially have the same users). He recently told me that he signed an agreement with his other partners attorney stating that he cannot be apart of any other web businesses. I took some time to think about it and after 2 weeks I contacted him through email to tell him, he can legally no longer be apart of my website business, because of the contract he signed and that I would pay him back for his $400 laid out and I even offered to pay him for his time invested while working on the project. As you can imagine these situations can get ugly because of alot of emotions involved, but he emailed me back stating that he actually never signed any contract with the other guy and that I can't tell him he is not a part of this. We have no written agreements of any kind. I can show receipts for the money I laid out. I would like to know what you think my options are, he is a close friend, but honestly as a business partner, he is not the help I imagined originally, he is lazy and does nothing but wants to reap all the benefits, and never has money to put into the company. Where do I go from here?
1/4/2012
Absent any written agreements on this, under the statute of frauds he has no contract with you to enforce. He could sue you for the actual amount of work he did and you would need to come up with some number to satisfy him about that and you will have to negotiate some agreement with him to get him out of the project and tell him if he does not want to accept your offer, he is still out and as there is no written agreement he has no rights to the LLC (but you do want to negotiate something to be done with him because the litigation costs on this would be steep because as an LLC you need an attorney for any legal matters). Any agreement you come to with him you need to put in writing and make him sign and it should state that, "In exchange for valuable consideration he is waiving rights to any and all claims against you personally, the LLC and the website, including but not limited to any intellectual property rights in the site, which you deny he has as any work done was a work for hire, and any rights to any further compensation for any reason from you or the LLC."

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Thank you very much, I am happy with your response...can you just reword the legal writing at the end to be proper tense and with our names, as I will have to type it up. My name is XXXXX XXXXX is Sean, and the company is WIV. And I will gladly pay you and give you a positive response. Thanks again!
The reason I wrote it the way I did is that we are prevented from writing any legal agreements for customers of this site as it can be considered representation and that is prohibited by this site. Thus, in writing it the way I did it leaves it to you to write the agreement on your own and I am not representing you and just providing you with the information you need to handle your own affairs.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney