Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I was in an Arbitration suit against my Ex lawyer in NY, He

was awarded 70% of the...
I was in an Arbitration suit against my Ex lawyer in NY, He was awarded 70% of the original amount. Can he attach or come after me in a different state?? Can he attach a business I am part owner in??
1/4/2012
He would have to file a petition to confirm the arbitration award in the supreme court and then he would be able to file a motion to garnish/seize bank accounts and he can seize your interests in any business you own, he cannot seize the business only any profits or money you would receive from the business.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Could you clarify a little more on the process of this??
1) He would have to file a petition to confirm the arbitration award in the supreme court...Do I have recourse with this? I requested a trial with the arbitrators, unfortunately, I filed a week to late due to me living in PA. The mail came to a NY address (step mother) I contacted the ARB Board & they stated it was too late.

2) file a motion to garnish/seize bank accounts and he can seize your interests in any business you own,......What exactly does this mean? I stated I have interest in the business, It is in fact MY Business(corp). How/Who determines Assets,inventory, or otherwise?? What can be done to isolate & protect myself?

3) he cannot seize the business only any profits or money you would receive from the business, How is this determined and executed??
1) You can answer that petition/suit and even file a counter suit to vacate the arbitration award (but realize that arbitration awards are only vacated if you can prove they were obtained by fraud or they are contrary to the law and for pretty much no other reasons, even where the arbitrator may have mistaken facts). If you filed late, this is not going to generally be sufficient grounds to get it vacated.

2/3) You cannot transfer any assets now, it is too late and the court would recover it under the Fraudulent Transfer Act. When it comes to seizing the business, the court would issue an order seizing whatever actual interest you have in the business (not inventory etc) but whatever your normal proceeds from the business would be would be seized. So if you normally get, for example, $4000 per month from the business as your share, that is what they will seize so the business has to pay it to the plaintiff.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney