Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

There is a product called Bright Feet being sold in the US

and UK and their US...
There is a product called Bright Feet being sold in the US and UK and their US website says Patent Pending 2005. Can I manufacture and sell a similar product with a different name?
1/4/2012
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Not if it is similar enough to infringe on their patent. The name is XXXXX XXXXX product is protected by the patent being applied for.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Can you please explain further what you mean by the product is protected by the patent being applied for?
Also is the patent valid in all countries?
When you apply for a patent then that patent protects against anyone else selling the product. There are differences between a US patent and an international patent but the issue is that there are times in which a patent "refers back" to a previous filing date. For instance, they could apply for a provisional patent that protects them for a year, then at the end of the year apply for an international patent that covers them internationally and in the US for a period of time, then later apply for a specific US patent. it is extremely complicated and there are a bunch of different ways it can be done. If you are serious about pursuing it then you will need to hire a patent lawyer to examine what type of patent, where it has been applied at, etc.

do you know a patent lawyer I can discuss this with?
Try www.ewplaw.com.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney