How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Someone is slandering our company online on a social network.

Customer Question

Someone is slandering our company online on a social network. What can we do about this?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

WebLaw :

*Due to rules of your state bar or mine, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information to better help yourself.*

WebLaw :

do you know who is slandering the company

Customer :


WebLaw :

Consider filing an action against the person for the tort of interference with contract based on a business expectancy and defamation. You may also file for a restraining order to prevent further defamatory remarks

To establish a claim for tortious interference with contract, you must show the existence of a valid contractual relationship or business expectancy (your customer relations); the interferer's knowledge of the relationship or expectancy; intentional interference inducing or causing a breach or termination of the relationship or expectancy; and resultant damage to the party whose relationship or expectancy has been disrupted.

Defamation basically consists of: (1) a false statement of fact about another; (2) an unprivileged publication of that statement to a third party; (3) some degree of fault, depending on the type of case; and (4) some harm or damage.

Libel is defamation by the printed word and slander is defamation by the spoken word.

Based upon your post only, you appear to meet all the criteria to establish a claim for tortious interference with contract and defamation. You will want to retain local counsel. Here is a link to a free legal referral site that may assist you in locating competent local counsel:

WebLaw :

Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.

Best wishes for a Happy and Healthy New Year!