How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 31684
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My parents sold there hardware store in 1991. They divorced

This answer was rated:

My parents sold there hardware store in 1991. They divorced directly after and as part of the divorce my mother was to get the balance owed on the sale. The guy who purchased the store was supposed to pay the remaining balance of $36,000 at $1000 a month until paid off. My mother only received a few payments and the guy quit paying her. The guy closed the store about a year later and either sold or rented the property. I am unsure if he filed bankruptcy or not. But my mother was never able to recover the balance because the legal costs were to much at the time and most of what would have been recovered would have gone to the lawyer if I remember correctly. Both my parents passed away this year and while cleaning out there belongings I came across the legal documents from when they sold the business. Out of curiosity I want to know if there is a legal course of action I can take to recover the money owed my mother. I am in charge of her estate. I am not after the money for personal gain, this is purely out of principle because of how this guy just stopped paying my mother because my father was not there to collect and ignored her until she gave up.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Business litigation attorney here to assist you.

When did the guy stop paying - in 1992/1993?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Probably around 1992, I just remember I was in High School and would go to the guys other hardware store to pick up the payments every month. He would always just have some excuse and never gave me a check for more then $100.
Ok. Thanks.

The good news is that Maine has a very long statute of limitations - 20 years - for breach of contract claims. This, you'll have to figure out exactly when the breach occurred. If you're not out of time, you should see an attorney immediately about pursuing this - the first action will be to track this guy down.
Roger and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions