J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced and trained in the area of business law.
15393114

Hi there, we received your feedback, and have filed a formal

Customer Question

Hi there, we received your feedback, and have filed a formal complaint with the state. After reading your response, we documented all of the incomplete and shoddy work that has been done. They are threatening to sue and are still demanding all of the insurance money for work they have not done. They have lied about work that they have done have essentially committed fraud.

My first major question is: how can we extract ourselves from business with this company? We told them to stop work, but they have yet to remove their lock box and I don't know how to formally sever ties while our complaint goes through the system.

Second, can we complete the work with another contractor? I have a semi-functioning basement and I am tired of letting things linger -- I want to finish the job.

Thanks for your assistance,
Elza
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 5 years ago.

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Again, thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

First, you need to send the original contractor a written demand to remove the property immediately and informing it that if the property is not removed, it will be disposed.

J.Hazelbaker :

You need to send this demand via Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested so you can prove it was received.

J.Hazelbaker :

You need to give the contractor 30 days to respond after which you can have the property removed. In the interim, you may move the property so that is out of sight / out of the way.

J.Hazelbaker :

In reality, the contractor will likely respond immediately to remove the property.

J.Hazelbaker :

Second, you can have a new contractor come in to finish the work. I would first have this contract give you a written opinion of the work that had been done by the original contractor so you can use that in court or with your complaint, if necessary.

J.Hazelbaker :

In addition, I would thoroughly document the current condition of the building/work with photographs/video.

J.Hazelbaker :

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.