How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 33397
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased the existing business from my former employer, I have been paying rent for las

Customer Question

I purchased the existing business from my former employer, I have been paying rent for last 10 months, the landlord made him the guarantor and there is about 3 yrs. left on lease. Business is in the red for awhile and I do not have the capitol to keep this up. Am I responsible to pay the lease if I have to close doors. I have an LLC
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
If it 1) is an LLC, 2) was treated like a corporation in your dealings and 3) you did not personally guarantee the lease then they couldn't get to your personal assets although they could certainly try.

What I mean by 2) above is that you didn't pay personal bills out of the LLC, etc. Where many people make a mistake is that even though they have an LLC they don't treat it like a real corporation which enables a creditor to "pierce the corporate shield" and get to personal assets.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.