Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Hello, We currently run a billing business and have our

Customer Question
Hello, We currently run a billing...

We currently run a billing business and have our own domain. There is another domain that was bought recently that has our companys name followed by "sucks." I know due to free speech, individuals are allowed to own such domains. However, when you type in the domain and click enter it is directed to a porn site. We have an idea on who did this. I know putting "sucks" in their domain would naturally not give us options to have it removed, but if the domain is bought don't they have to use it, and use it in a way that is consistent with the law? not directing it to a porn site?

I may be wrong, but I just wanted to get some advice.

Thanks in advance,
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Business Law
12/2/2011
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
Actually, the law does not say that they have to use it in any manner in particular. You hit the nail on the head about the first amendment protection for these "xsucks.com" addresses and the owner of them can do what they choose other than post known false information about your company. As long as they are not posting known false information about your company, then they are not violating the laws of defamation. You could however, in this type of instance, argue that the reference to a porn site is defamatory per se and they are not making commentary on your services, but it may be a stretch of an argument and it would cost you in litigation fees.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney