Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

We brought an employee from France last year we provided him

We brought an employee from France last year we provided him with an H1B visa we have spent money on the lawyer and his travel expenses were paid to the USA we even helped him find an apartment in NYC.He quit yesterday.I want to prevent this issue from happening again can we put a clause in the contract that the employee should stay for at least two years in the company but if the employer is not satisfied he can fire him.Is it legitimate?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Yes, you absolutely can have such a clause in these contracts and they are common. Every employment contract I write for clients regarding foreign workers has a liquidated damages clause requiring payment from the employee of a certain amount if they leave prior to the 2 years or 1 year or in some cases 3-5 years, including if they are terminated for good cause or misconduct. Additionally, the contracts state they agree that their final pay may be withheld and applied towards any damages under the contract (since they are specifically agreeing to wages being held by the employer for damages, this is in compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act). These clauses are legal and enforceable.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you I just wanted to know this is the H!B visa transferable can we cancel it so he can go back to France?How long will it take?
He could get a new company to apply for the H1B transfer, but he would need to get them to do so. As far as how long it will take, sometimes 60-90 days, it all depends on the other company applying for the transfer.