Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Dear all, I am a german national, living in Vietnam. Some

Customer Question
Dear all, I am a...
Dear all,

I am a german national, living in Vietnam.
Some of my stocks I am holding will be sold by Mergers International to a potential buyer.
They made a firm offer for the shares but requested me to pay Capital gains Tax up front.

Question is, do I have to pay as the seller Capital Gains Tax on Frankfurt traded shares which are aquired by a US based company?

WQould appreciate your advise.

Thanks and best regards,

G. Michael Bischof
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Business Law
12/2/2011
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
If you are not living in the US, then you do not have to pay US Capital Gains taxes on the sale of these shares and even if you did have to pay the taxes, they are not due up front upon your sale they are due at the end of the year. Thus, it sounds like this company is trying to scam you for some money and may not even be legitimately trading your shares.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Thanks for the advise.

Have another follow up question in this case.

I paid in February 2011 Peter Hamilton Law Firm & Consultancy an amount of EURO 26,160.00 for legal Fees, Research Fees and mainly a 4% Surety Bond of EU 20,160.00 (0.08% Interest) as well a Retainer Balance of EU 5,096.00, upon the advise of TCM Financial, the company which contacted me firstly in regards XXXXX XXXXX sale of the Terra Med Alliance , Inc shares.

I meanwhile cancelled this agreement with TCM due to none performance and advised Peter Hamilton Law Firm to return the Fees minus any expenses to my account on or around June 2011. Unfortunately, I have not have heard from then since.

Question: What could I do to retrieve the amount of EU 26,160.00 from Peter Hamilton Law Firm ? Would appreciate your advise.

Thank you and best regards,

G. Michael Bischof
This dates back to May 2011Unfortunatel
If you had a signed agreement with them, then this would be a breach of contract claim and you would have to sue the firm where they are located to recover the money they have taken to you for their failure to preform the duties the promised under the contract.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney