Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Can you explain the pricnciple of director/officer being prohibited

Customer Question
with dealing with the company...
Can you explain the pricnciple of director/officer being prohibited with dealing with the company if he/she has personal interest in stake?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Business Law
12/1/2011
Business Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 6 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Is there a specific question I could assist you with? I'm not sure what you're asking.
Well I am asking why the officer of the company cannot make any deal/transation with that company (that he is officer of) if he has any material interest in this deal?
Because it would be, or at least appear to be, a conflict of interest. The officer/director has a duty to the company to do only those things which are in the company's best interest. Self dealing inherently is not in the company's best interest because you can't do what is best for the company AND what is best for yourself.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Be very careful about looking at other internet sites that just post generic information without any inquiry into your facts because often those answers are dated, wrong, or wrong as applied to your facts. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney