How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney 1 Your Own Question
Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 2601
Experience:  Knowledgeable and Experienced Attorney
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Attorney 1 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being sued for copyright infringement but the Plantiff

Customer Question

I am being sued for copyright infringement but the Plantiff refuses to show us the deposit for their copyright, claiming they "can't find" the original item that was copyrighted. They are attempting to sue my CA corp that was suspended 6 years ago ( I have since moved to company to NY and have a NY corp). They are also suing my 2 NY corps as well. We are trying to get a lack of jurisdiction for the NY corps, but they have sued the suspended CA corp. What can happen with that suspended CA corp??
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 5 years ago.

Attorney 1 :

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer! I am preparing your response. Please remain online for a few moments, so you can get your answer right away.

Attorney 1 :

If the infringement supposedly occured post-suspension, the plaintiff could have sued you, individually. As it seems that has not occurred, consider yourself lucky. If the corporation is not in good standing, and is doing no business and has no assets, there is not really too much to be concerned with, as the judgement would be virtually meaningless. If the NY corporation has not infringed on the mark and has not connection to the old corporation, it is not a proper party to the action. However, if the new corporations are alter egos for the suspended corporation, they are fair game. Be sure to keep clean and separate records.

Attorney 1 :

Another thing to remember is that a corporaton is required to have an attorney to appear in a lawsuit. The corporation cannot be pro se.

Attorney 1 :

Best of luck!

If you need more information, just let me know and I will be happy to continue to assist you.


If I have answered your question, please remember to click “ACCEPT.”

Clicking the green “ACCEPT” button will not cause you to incur any additional expense, and it is the only way that an expert gets paid for providing assistance, even if you have made a deposit or have a monthly subscription.

I leave Positive feedback for all accepted answers.

Positive feedback helps customers get quick responses to future questions.

If you would like to request my assistance for future questions, please begin the question with "FOR ATTORNEY 1".


This communication contains general information, only, and does not constitute the provision of legal advice. Information provided herein is not intended to replace a detailed legal consultation, and does not create an attorney/client relationship.