Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

this is a follow up to the derivative question- if the pleading

Customer Question
was filed individually and derivatively...
this is a follow up to the derivative question- if the pleading was filed individually and derivatively by both shareholders and the 90 day requirement (item 2 from previous question) was not met and additionally the opposing party sued the company and the shareholder, would the case in its entirety or partiality be dismissed- if partial which parts and why citing applicable law.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Business Law
12/1/2011
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 years ago
The derivative action would be dismissed as per the statute already provided to you in the previous question if you do not satisfy the requirements in subsection 2 of the statute.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

does the other 50% owner have standing to sue the co-owned company in his individual capacity or would that part also be dismissed?
Each owner can sue the co-owned company individually if they have a cause of action, but realize in suing the company the company will have to have an attorney and those attorney's fees come out of the company AND that means you and the other owner share those legal fees.
can i choose the attorney and direct its legal defense without his authorization- iam the ceo and treasure- he is the president and secretary- it is my understanding in florida the president has the authority to make contracts
That would be a conflict of interest if you are suing the company so no you could not choose the attorney. Also, it is the president who has the right to make these final decisions.
no he is suing the company and if only the president can make those authorizations how can i defend the company?
If he is suing the company, him choosing the attorney to defend the company would be a conflict of interest, so as CEO you would be next in line to make that decision on hiring the attorney.
is that just common sense or is there applicable law you can direct me to on that
That is just common law of business and how the system works regarding when conflicts of interest arrise.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney