How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Attorney with over 35 years of business experience.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a painting contractor and was working for another painting

Customer Question

I am a painting contractor and was working for another painting contractor. I am having trouble getting paid and its been around 130 days late. I did receive a small payment around 123 days late but the contractor still has a balance of over $6000. I would like to file a lien against him and was wondering what my options are. How do I go about filing this lien? I am from Minnesota.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 5 years ago.
You can file in Conciliation Court, small claims court, for payment. Assuming that you prevail you will obtain a judgment against the other company. Then you can place a lien against any of the company's assets including the bank account. Unless it is a sole proprietor you cannot attach his personal assets. Here is the information and the forms.