Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I am a painting contractor and was working for another painting

Customer Question
contractor. I am having trouble...
I am a painting contractor and was working for another painting contractor. I am having trouble getting paid and its been around 130 days late. I did receive a small payment around 123 days late but the contractor still has a balance of over $6000. I would like to file a lien against him and was wondering what my options are. How do I go about filing this lien? I am from Minnesota.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 4 days by:
10/10/2011
Business Lawyer: lwpat, Attorney replied 6 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
You can file in Conciliation Court, small claims court, for payment. Assuming that you prevail you will obtain a judgment against the other company. Then you can place a lien against any of the company's assets including the bank account. Unless it is a sole proprietor you cannot attach his personal assets. Here is the information and the forms.

http://www.mncourts.gov/selfhelp/?page=313
lwpat
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney