How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 118253
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi....what steps do I need to start a small baking business.

This answer was rated:

Hi....what steps do I need to start a small baking business. I would like to sell my cookies at food festivalls, craft shows etc and how much would that cost me?
The first thing is if you are selling food goods to the public you will need to have the kitchen where they are prepared certified by the state department of health and obtain a health certificate. This means you can have no pets in the home where the kitchen is located or you have to have a detached kitchen where the pets never have access. Second, you would need your business (as previously discussed) and your tax ID. Getting the kitchen up to standards would be likely your biggest expense if you do not have a proper kitchen for this.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ok....I am in process of using a commercial kitchen which would supply me with a cy of the certification needed. Then should I REGISTER my name or don't worry about that and just apply for an LLC and get a tax id#, then insurance.


If you have the kitchen, then getting the LLC is the next most recommended step, which registers your name when you do so, and then get your EIN and your insurance.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you.


As far as the insurance, should I start with my current insurance co first or find a totally new co

Start with your current insurance since many times they give discounts for multiple policies.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much for this valuble info!!!
Once you get the quote from your insurer, call around to a few places too in order to make sure you are getting the best insurance price.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you