How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 116709
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I manage a self storage facility in California. I have never

This answer was rated:

I manage a self storage facility in California. I have never received a Declaration in Opposition of Lien Sale before so I have no idea how to proceed. What are my options?
If they are opposing the lien sale, then your recourse now is you have to file suit in court for a court order to sell the contents for the lien (obtain a judicial lien). CA Business and Professionals Code 21710 states:

(a) If a valid declaration in opposition to lien sale is received by the owner prior to the date set forth in the notice of lien sale, the owner may enforce the lien only as follows: (1) File an action to enforce the lien in small claims court as provided in Chapter 5.5 (commencing with Section 116.110) of Title 1 of Part 1 of the Code of Civil Procedure, provided that the amount of the lien is within the monetary jurisdiction of the court. If the action is filed in small claims court, all of the procedures set forth in that chapter shall apply, including the procedures for service of the summons and complaint. (2) File an action to enforce the lien in any other court of competent jurisdiction, in which case the summons and complaint may be served by certified mail, postage prepaid, addressed to the occupant at the address provided by the occupant in the declaration of lien sale, and service shall be deemed completed on the fifth day after the mailing, or in any other manner authorized by Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 413.10) of Title 5 of Part 2 of the Code of Civil Procedure. (b) If the owner is granted a judgment in favor of the lien, the owner may advertise the goods for sale and sell the property as provided in Section 21707.

Thus, this is the procedure you must follow.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions