Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Im starting a sole proprietorship online business. What are the bare bone essential

I'm starting a sole proprietorship online business. What are the bare bone essentials I must complete to make it legit?
Submitted: 6 years ago via Nolo Press.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
For online businesses there is very little to do to actually make it "legit." Many people just operate the business without registering anything and do so for years and simply claim their income on their income taxes. A sole proprietorship is by definition is an unregistered business entity so for online business there is little to no formality required. If you want to form a corporate entity, a Limited Liability Corporation which is simple to form online with your secretary of state's office and you can then get a tax ID from the IRS website for your LLC and then you can operate the site under the LLC, but that is a bit more than bare essentials.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

If I ever need help, can I hire someone under a sole proprietorship, pay them, and still file my income taxes the same way? Or would I have to start an LLC the minute someone else is working for me?

Yes, you could hire someone as a sole proprietor, but then you have to pay employment taxes and workers compensation insurance on them in compliance with the law.