Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

online business have the right to bar me from purchasing

Customer Question
Does an online business have...
Does an online business have the right to bar me from purchasing clothes on their website for the rest of my life because the phone number I used when I entered it into the billing address did not match the phone number that was on file with the credit card? So because I messed up a credit card info they will not allow me to make any more purchases. This is ralphlauren.com I called them and spoke to them, I told them I can do whatever it takes to reverse this decision. I told them to contact my bank to confirm and they still did not believe I was the card holder. I insisted that they let me speak with their Credit Card verification department but they refused. They refused to let me speak with a supervisor and they told me the only way I could buy their clothes was to goto the store. I emailed them and asked them to review this case but they still refused to let me use the website to buy products. All of this because I didn't use the correct phone number. I don't  think its lawful to bar someone using an online store even after I made an effort to verify my identity as the cardholder.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Business Law
10/3/2011
Business Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Unfortunately, a business has a right to choose whether to do business with other individuals. There is no automatic right for a consumer to do business with a particular company. You can try writing a letter to the corporate office, explaining the situation, but if they really refuse to do business with you, unfortunately, there is no legal right to force them to do so. Their office is located at:
Ralph Lauren Corporation
625 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10022

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Lucy, Esq., Attorney