Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I understand consideration to be a fundamental concept in jurisprudence

and that for a contract...
I understand consideration to be a fundamental concept in jurisprudence and that for a contract to be valid, both parties need to give and receive consideration.

However, it seems to me that issues rarely arise regarding consideration. Granted, perhaps, most people will not sign most contracts without getting something in return, but is seems to me that I have seen many agreements signed in which arguably one party receives no consideration, particularly contract amendments, amendments to employment agreements, and NDAs. What is going on here? Sloppy drafting?

BTW, is it “Legal Consideration”, “Consideration”, "legal consideration", or "consideration?"
10/2/2011
Consideration is defined as something of value that each person derives from the contract. Actually, the argument of consideration is frequently disputed in contract disputes, especially in unilateral contracts (where only one party seems to gain anything from the contract). Consideration though does not mean money, it can be any advantage or anything that the other party may want from the other party in the contract. The terms you listed under "BTW" are all the same term.

Each contract is examined on its own to determine what benefit each party to the contract gets out of the contractual agreement to determine the sufficiency of consideration. Sometimes consideration is not very obvious, but it is still there.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

"Consideration though does not mean money" -- agreed.

But are you stating that consideration can be read into a "contract?"
Yes, consideration can be interpreted or read into a contract by a court. For example, in a non-compete agreement, consideration for signing can be employment or continued employment even if it is not spelled out in the contract.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney