How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years practicing law
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a client in texas that disputed an invoice, they sent

This answer was rated:

I have a client in texas that disputed an invoice, they sent a check for less than half the service amount...on the check they wrote "invoice #9340 final Payment" can I cash this check writing on the back "without prejudice" and still have the option to sue in small claims court for the reminder of the invoice especially if i can prove fraud on their dispute? They live in a neighboring county can I sue them in my county where some of the work was done and where they contacted me from?
Dear JACUSTOMER - I would not cash the check if you want to sue for a larger amount. You can sue in your county and allege that the contract was partially based in your county and they would have to dispute the venue if they want to defend in their county. Generally the proper venue is the county where the defendant is located but you can make a case for your county because the contract, at least in part was performed there. If you cash the check you are leaving open a defense for the defendant to claim payment in full regardless of what you write on the check.
Dave Kennett and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you