How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas McJD Your Own Question
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 6516
Experience:  Experienced in Corps, LLCs, Partnership, etc.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Thomas McJD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello...not sure if Im asking in the correct category, but

This answer was rated:

Hello...not sure if I'm asking in the correct category, but will appreciate you forwarding on if not.
My question regards XXXXX XXXXX I signed in 2009 that I refused to follow thru with and am getting collection letters, which I return unopened or throw away.
Since it is a minimal amount $600 plus interest, what are the consequences of me not paying....ever. Will the person have to make a court case of it to collect?
Thank you.
What state are you in and how long ago was your last payment or when you entered into the contract?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Wyoming and it was Nov. 2009. Never made a payment towards this particular contract.
I consigned 6 horses to a cataloged sale....paid for that. Pulled the horses from the sale prior to it. Owner of auction barn says I still owe for consigned horses. I refused because of her unprofessional rudeness and threat to not represent my horses if I brought them through her facility. (I am not the only one with issues with this woman.)
Depending on whether the debt is related to an oral contract or a written contract, the statute of limitation is either 8 years or 10 years, respectively.

Thus, the limitations period has not yet expired.

What that means is that this person could sue you on the contract and obtain a judgment for the amount owing. Only if the person obtains a judgment can they then come after you.

Until then, all they can do is attempt to collect and you can continue your refusal to pay.

Your accept (by clicking the green "accept" button) would be greatly appreciated. Although you have made a deposit, I cannot receive credit for my work without your accept. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I see, but in your opinion, isn't it highly unlikely that she would sue, due to the small amount, that it would cost her more to collect this by means of sueing?

And it was a written contract.
Yes, absolutely. It's very, very unlikely given the amount involved.

Your accept would be appreciated.
Thomas McJD and 4 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you