How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years practicing law
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I respond to a Lawsuit Notice

Resolved Question:

How do I respond to a Lawsuit Notice
Submitted: 5 years ago via RocketLawyer.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
What is the nature of the lawsuit?

Is this against a corporation or an individual?

When were the papers served?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Stated money owed from my Corporation for advice. The advice given was to an Employee wantng to purchase my Corporation.


Papers served three days ago.

Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Are you saying you gave your employee advice and the employee is suing your corporation for the advice? Could you provide some more detail as to what happened?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Employee went to Law Firm to seek advice for him to purchase my Company. I knew nothing of them going to the law firm.

Company purchase failed, now their Law Firm is expecting my Company to pay for their advice to employee..

Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 5 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER - I see no basis for such a suit unless the employee was authorized to hire the law firm on behalf of your company. The biggest problem I see is that you cannot personally represent or defend your corporation so you will need to hire a lawyer to defend the suit. Obviously the law firm knows this and is probably trying to get some money out of you in order to avoid having to hire a lawyer or have a judgment against your company. I'm not certain of the amount of money involved but if it isn't worth hiring an attorney then my suggestion would be to file a written complaint with the Bar Association for unethical conduct of the law firm. If you or your company didn't hire them they have no business sending you a bill or trying to collect a fee from a non client.I have included the website for the Bar Association below for your convenience.

Dave Kennett and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions