Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I had an independant sales person who I thought I would ask

Customer Question
to go into business together...
I had an independant sales person who I thought I would ask to go into business together. On November 21st, 2010 this sales person did not turn over all the sales money he was collecting or informing me he sold product. He was putting the sold product on his own personal card, so it would not raise flags to me ormy business. I went into an agreement with him on January1st 2011 to become business partners, not knowing he was already stealing form me. During the relationship he continued doing the same thing (embezzling) from the corporation. I did my homework and saw some things were off. I realized what he was doing and terminated him from the business. Can I bring a cause of action to void the contract because there was fraud involved a month prior to us going into business together and because he entered into this contract in bad faith?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Business Law
9/3/2011
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
What type of business did you form? Did you have a written contract?

I sell shade for a living (i.e. Patio covers, Awninging, Dropscreens, etc.) Yes we had a written contract.

Then you would need to file a breach of contract suit against him for the taking the money from the company and you could also seek to file embezzlement charges with the DA and have him criminally prosecuted. These are your two remedies to resolve the matter.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney