How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 116713
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I do some freelance work on the side. No employees, no business

Customer Question

I do some freelance work on the side. No employees, no business name, small-time revenues, no big deal. I also currently work as a full-time temporary contractor.

My only working experience is working for a company as a full-time employee. I'm about to be a part of a $10,000 contract with a Fortune 500 and it's clear I need to get everything in order at this point and make it "legit".

I live in Raleigh, NC - Wake County. So far I'm about to mail a form to Raleigh zoning to get permission to work from home and I have the Raleigh business license application ready to mail once I get permission from zoning. What I've read from Wake County is only focused on business names with the register that has language around "if you're doing business as something other than your real name." I also have detailed invoice and deduction accounting already in spreadsheets.

There's a lot of advice out there like "click here to get information on federal taxes" which just goes to the IRS website. I just need to have a conversation with someone who can answer some questions and point me in the right direction of all the other things I need.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
I would suggest forming a limited liability company through the Secretary of State's Office and then obtaining your EIN from the IRS website. As far as your zoning permission, this all depends on what type of work you are doing, since not all work requires you to get such permits and quite honestly they are not going to know depending on the type of business of course.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”