Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Hello, I would like to start a business that employs Independent

Customer Question
Hello, I would like to start...

I would like to start a business that employs Independent Contractors to work from their home making telephone calls. Other than the "norm" of setting up an LLC, EIN and having them fill out a 1099, do I have to get any other type of "licenses" and most importantly, do I have to purchase liability insurance, workers comp, etc?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Business Law
9/3/2011
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 years ago
If they are independent contractors and working from home and are able to work as they please, then you do not need workers compensation insurance and you do not pay unemployment. As far as liability insurance, there is nothing needed if all you are doing is making phone calls. Just the obvious that you mentioned already is all that is required.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

what if the Independent Contractor's work at my clients' businesses?
If they are independent contractors and not employees, then workers compensation is not needed.

Thank you for your prompt response. Sorry; I'm still trying to learn this system and my computer said you were still "working on my answer" so I just saw your response. I understand I won't need work comp ins. but what about General Liability? Since I'm just starting this biz I'm really scared about the fact that if I hire an Independent Contractor and they're working at a client's office they can sue me if they get a paper cut. I've been told that in order to insure against something like this costs an arm and a leg in Gen Liability (the person telling me this is someone trying to "partner" w/me and the only thing he's bringing to the table is the Gen Liab Ins). Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX for any/all advice you can provide.

You said they are independent working from home making phone calls, not working in client's offices, but either way if they are independent contractors, you only need insurance to indemnify you for any damages that may occur if they are on a client's property and this is just general liability insurance.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney