David L
David L, Attorney
Experience:  Corporate and Business lawyer since 1997
11661736

Im a general contractor and went to a meeting with another

I'm a general contractor and went to a meeting with another corporation to start a joint venture. I may have screwed myself by bringing someone else with me who has alot more experience in the field than I do. I brought him as help but am now worried he may try to go around me. Should I have formed another joint venture with him first or what?
Usually in this case it's good to prepare a non-disclosure / confidentiality agreement prior to these meetings. That document protects you by having the other party promise they will not disclose anything related to the new venture and that they will keep it confidential. You might try to have him sign one now, after the fact. If he is willing to do so, you will still be fully protected. If he doesn't want to, then you will know that you might have problems down the road.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does signing a non-disclosure keep him being able to drop me and doing business straight with them? Should I have formed a partnership with him first? and what kinds of partnerships can I form with him, what is the best if I want him to work for me but run operations?
Hi. It would depend on the terms of the agreement. The point would be to protect yourself from having him go straight to them and bypassing you. There are a number of different ways to enter into a relationship with him. A partnership is one way, with an agreement defining roles and profit-sharing. There are also corporations, with shareholder agreements and limited liability companies, with operating agreements, that do similar things.